WIP wednesday: funkify

I’m not sure what came over me after my post last week, but I suddenly got the urge to switch this quilt up a bit in order to feel more excited about it.

DSC07976

I wanted it to be a little less pretty, and a little more “funky.” I can’t remember exactly how the idea came to me (probably surfing instagram) but somehow I decided that it would be more interesting (or at least more “me”) if I varied the backgrounds. Thankfully I only had 3 Marmalade striped ones completed so I’ll be able to use them no problem. (That also leaves me yardage of the Marmalade stripe, which will be great for a backing or 2).

DSC07979

Then I decided that I’m going to leave out the sashing… which of course means I’m going to need 30 (instead of 20) flowers. I’ve done 9, and I’m going to try to knock the rest out 3 at a time for a week or so. Maybe a little longer since I’m eventually going to need to make more petals.

I’m much more excited about this project now though. It would have been very pretty the other way too, but my goal for this year was to really focus on producing quilts I love and determining how and why that happens.

photo-17

I think I’m going to love this one.

Obnoxiously upbeat Monday post

I’ve talked before about how I love the fresh start of a new morning or a new year. I feel the same way when I finish a project, and boy did I just finish a big one.

I have been working so hard on a super-secret-not-allowed-to-talk-about-it project for the last couple of months and it is finally done. I cheated a little and shared this picture on instagram:

secretproject

That’s as good as it’s gonna get until April! I am extremely excited to share this project and the related tutorial. It’s going to be a really fun one.

In the meantime, I am taking great pleasure in choosing which project to focus on next.

Gypsy wife?

DSC07887

Modern flower garden?

DSC05287

Something brand new?

One thing I’ll definitely be working on this week is a Noodle-head divided basket for my barn door quilt along winner! Mr. Random chose number 1, Kris from Sew Sunshine, who made this beauty:

barndoorwinner

I’ll be working with Kris to choose colors and fabrics. Maybe I’ll work on that while I’m still trying to decide which quilt to work on.

Which quilt would you like to see me choose? Gypsy wife or modern flower garden? Something new?

I’ll be back with my answer for WIP Wednesday.

WIP wednesday: gypsy wife update

I’ve made a bit more progress on my Gypsy Wife quilt:

DSC07887

I’m afraid I might have been a little too proud of the perfectly protected points on this block:

DSC07891

When I say the points are “protected,” I mean the points that face toward the outer edge of the block. See how there is a substantial 1/4 inch surrounding them? That means when the block is joined together with the other blocks, the points will still be nice.

But then this challenging block came along:

DSC07889

I’m afraid a few of those points aren’t going to make it. In fact, a few of the inner points have already been sacrificed as well (the outer tips of a couple of the black striped pieces). But, on the bright side, a lot more points are intact and lovely! I can definitely live with it. Considering that it took an entire morning, I’m not redoing it.

One thing I really appreciate about quilting is how incredibly challenging it is to get it just right. Even the absolutely gorgeous and jaw-dropping original Gypsy Wife quilt might be missing a few points here and there if you really study it.

The quilt along schedule for February also included these “filler blocks”:

DSC07898

DSC07900

DSC07896

All together now:

DSC07894

The pattern calls for all pinwheel blocks but I thought it’d be fun to mix it up a bit. These blocks took 2 days instead of 1 because I used so many different fabrics, all of which needed to be starched and pressed. But now I’ve got those fabrics all ready for the next blocks! I keep them all in our hallway hanging on the railing, as if having a whole room devoted to sewing isn’t enough. #howquiltersannoytheirpartners

A few of these filler blocks will get small borders before going into the quilt. I decided to wait on that so I have more flexibility with my color placement. Since these blocks are constructed to some extent in pairs, I don’t want them to end up too close to each other.

This is such a fun quilt along. The quilt is really challenging, but taking it slowly through the year makes it doable for beginners and more advanced quilters alike. If you decide to join and have any trouble with any of the trickier blocks, I’d be more than happy to walk you through it to the best of my ability. Just email me.

Linking up with the other Gypsy Wife quilt alongers at Riddle and Whimsy and WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.